Welcome to my blog!

My name name is Marina Kharkover and I'm a freelance illustrator. You can see more of my work on my portfolio site marinakharkover.com

All images on this blog are © MARINA KHARKOVER 2011.Please do not use any of these images without my permission.

My work at the C.C.C.P gallery

I recently participated in a group show at the C.C.C.P gallery in Williamsburg Brooklyn.  This was an exiting show to be a part of because since the opening night date was close to Valentine's Day , the show was titled "Heart Throb" and the theme was passion. Here is the link for more information http://jahartny.tripod.com/cccp/id3.html for this theme I made two original mixed media pieces: the one featured on the left is titled "Elks in Love" and is almost a homage to the classic "Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare and the recently produced "Black Swan" by Darren Aronofsky . The two elks are fragile and barely touching they know there love is forbidden  and even dangerous. Yet they meet in the deep wood secretly at midnight the dark elk prince and his virginal white elk secret bride. The second piece featured on the right is titled "The Elk Princess Stole my Heart" is a continuation of the story where the princess elk come to a realization that she can never be with her dark price and  that he has betrayed her to be with another of his kind. In a fit of rage she rips out his heart and in bleeds dark blood. As punishment for her crime she receives a human body but is left with her elk (un-human) head, and banished to live in limbo on the deep forest for eternity. ......I created this narrative to illustrate how the female is still perceived as irrational, dark and corrupt, unstable in her passion and decisions. The male both seeks and reject her violent nature however at the end she is punished by all for her passion even by her fellow women. She is made into a  contradiction: both pure and virginal she is expected to be also dark and a seductress , yet at the end she is nothing but a castaway.